K9 Kingdom

Giving You the Best in Pet Advice!

Unhealthy Foods For Dogs

on April 11, 2012

        Every pet owner wants to spoil their pet and keep them healthy, but what ‘human’ foods are alright for dogs to eat and which are harmful? I know that my dog is so spoiled that he barely eats dog food anymore, and I know there are plenty of people out there that spoil their pet with goodies like I do.  When feeding your pet table scraps there are many ingredients used in everyday cooking that can be very harmful to your dog. When passing the plate to the floor for Fido, here are the top four unexpected foods that you should avoid.

      Onions and Garlic are highly toxic to dogs as they both contain thiosulphate, an ion produced naturally in biochemical processes- Onion is the more toxic of the two. Dogs can get sick from eating small amounts of either onion or garlic and the affects of the poisoning will not be seen until a few days after the initial ingestion.  Some of the symptoms to look for if you think your dog has been poisoned are anemia, labored breathing, liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, and discolored urine.

      Mushrooms are also very poisonous to dogs, where some species can lead to immediate death after ingestion. Cooked or raw mushrooms both have the same impact on the dog’s digestive system. Amanita mushrooms (usually a wilder variety) are typically the species that have the highest number of reported deaths. Your dog would encounter an Amanita mushroom while playing outside, but other mushrooms we commonly eat can have the same effect. Symptoms of a poisoning are abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting diarrhea, convulsions, coma, and death. Pictured below is an Amanita mushroom.

      Grapes and raisins are also not recommended to feed your dog because they can lead to very severe sickness, and uncommonly death. I know that my dog has eaten green grapes before without a severe reaction, but if a dog ingests a significant amount of grapes or raisins they will experience diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and lethargy. These symptoms can lead to dehydration and potential death. Yearly the Humane Society sees a number of reported poisonings from grapes that were given to dogs or mistakenly ingested.

      As all dog owners know, chocolate is very dangerous for any dog. Due to the compound theobromine, that is present in chocolate, even small amounts of chocolate can be deadly to pets. Theobromine is considered a stimulant and a diuretic for dogs, and is thought to be one of the most dangerous compounds for animals. Chocolate poisoning in dogs can be seen within a few hours and can lead to death within 24 hours. Cocoa powder is the most dangerous form of chocolate for dogs because it contains purer forms of theobromine. It will only take a very small amount of cocoa powder to affect a dog significantly. Dark and semisweet chocolate forms are less of a hazard to dogs, but still very dangerous. If your dog has ingested a large quantity of chocolate will likely show symptoms of staggering, labored breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, tremors, fever, heart rate increase, arrhythmia, seizures, and coma/ death. If you believe that your dog has ingested a large quantity of chocolate, take them to your vet immediately.

     Overall, these foods are some of the most dangerous to dogs and should be avoided at all costs. Giving your dog a sample of your nightly dinner is alright, as long as you check to make sure your plate holds only safe and nutritious foods. I hope that this blog was helpful and these are some tips to keep your dog safe and healthy! Thanks for reading.

See more at: http://www.entirelypets.com/toxicfoods.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: